Our Mission at Work: Meet Dolores
October 10, 2012
Little D is the name the Shoreline Goodwill has given to little 4’8”, 75 year-old Dolores, a graduate from the Shoreline Retail Customer Service Program. After her husband passed away, Dolores moved to Seattle in 2001 from the Philippines, not knowing anyone. She had been to Seattle with her husband and remembered liking the weather. Little D came to the Shoreline Job Training and Education Center in desperate need of employment, and she dedicated herself to the program and to getting a job. After six weeks in the program her determination paid off, and Delores was hired as a seasonal cashier at the Shoreline store. “I loved the job training – it is a very good program.” Dolores said. “I learned a lot and the instructors were really helpful. I still go to them for advice.”
Her good attitude and strong work ethic were noticed by her coworkers and managers, and after only a month and a half of working Dolores received an Employee of the Month award. Dolores was offered a part-time position at the store and was brought on as a permanent employee. “I like to work,” said Dolores. “There is a challenge every day – it keeps you alive!”
Katherine Boury is the Communications Manager at Seattle Goodwill.
CONNECT WITH US
SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL
- Earth Day Donation Drive
- Capitol Hill Location: Opening May 2nd!
- Workplace Romance: To be together? Or to not be together?
- The Balancing Act: The Work-Life Balance
- Celebrating 90 Years (17)
- Community (28)
- Craft Corner (5)
- Donate (19)
- Fashion (18)
- Glitter Gala 2012 (2)
- Glitter Sale 2012 (34)
- Glitter Sale 2013 (15)
- Green Corps (2)
- Job Training & Education (22)
- Let's Get to Work (7)
- Our Mission at Work (10)
- Shop (31)
- Uncategorized (1)
- Vintage Fashion (2)
- Volunteering (5)
- April 2014 (2)
- March 2014 (4)
- February 2014 (4)
- January 2014 (1)
- December 2013 (3)
- Glitter Sale Raises Record Amount
- Making Room for Glitter Sale Finds
- The Mission at Work – Innocent’s Story
- Glitter Sale Preview 2013: The Best of the Rest
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Vintage Finds
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Tips for Shopping the Glitter Sale
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: UW Pride
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: The Perfect Handbag
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Holiday Pins
- Glitter Sale Preview: Mad for Plaid
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Designer Shoes
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Crushing on Coach
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Animal Prints - Walk on the Wild Side
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: The Little Black Dress
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Winter Whites
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Burberry
- Halloween Costume Ideas and Contests
- Zipcar and Goodwill Partner for Donation Day Seattle on October 19
- Eye Catching Emerald Green at this Year's Glitter Sale!
- Going for LEED Gold
- Goodwill is your Halloween Headquarters
- September 2013 (2)
- August 2013 (6)
- July 2013 (3)
- June 2013 (2)
- Come to the Goodwill Ribbon Cutting and Open House
- Goodwill Collecting Donations at Sasquatch Festival
- Give Goodwill!
- My New Book Club: Easy and Cheap
- Celebrating 90 Years | Learning at Seattle Goodwill
- Celebrating 90 Years | Live Hi Up - An Interview with Angela Moorer
- Donate Today and Help Build The Future
- Shopping Goodwill – My Favorite Finds
- Beyoncé is Lending Her Voice for GOOD
- Board Member and Volunteer James Thomas Helps Us Celebrate National Volunteer Week
- Put It Down For the Town - Celebrate Earth Day with Macklemore Monday!
- Donate to Goodwill in Honor of Earth Day
- Participate in our Earth Day Giveaway for a Chance to Win Macklemore Tickets!
- Celebrating 90 Years | Goodwill Style with Darcy Camden
- Spring Cleaning Helps Others Find Jobs
- Rat City Rollergirls Talk Thrift!
- Celebrating 90 Years | Store Manager Israel Juarez Knows the Power of Education
- Get Your Taxes Prepared for Free at Goodwill
- Celebrating 90 Years | Volunteering at Goodwill
- Salvaging 35 Million Pounds
- Shop in Style at the Urban Girls’ Garage Sale
- Celebrating 90 Years | Shopping for Goodwill Fashions with Blogger Jess Estrada
- Celebrating 90 Years | The Early History of Seattle Goodwill
- Shop Our Designer Accessory Sale Starting Tomorrow!
- Water Cooler Conversations – What Not to Say
- Celebrating 90 Years - The Gift of Education
- Our Designer Accessory Sale is next Friday and Saturday!
- Celebrating 90 Years - Tina Witherspoon is Hooked on Thrift
- Get Organized – Tips to De-Clutter Your Life
- Celebrating 90 Years - Stories from the Community
- Celebrating 90 Years - Job Training at Goodwill
- Dress For the Job You Want
- Celebrating 90 Years – Charles Cross Talks Music, Mugs and Cheap Furniture
- Celebrating 90 Years - Thrifting Tips from Kim Holcomb
- Attend the Finale of Seattle’s Fashion Reality Show, The Look!
- Help Goodwill Celebrate 90 Years!
- January 2013 (5)
- December 2012 (4)
- Our Mission at Work: Meet Mary Jane
- Are You Ready for Winter Weather?
- Winter Wardrobe Wonderland
- Thank You for Making the Glitter Sale a Success!
- The Glitter Sale is Finally Here - Time to Grab Some Designer Flats!
- Shop the Glitter Sale For That Great Gatsby Look
- Fresh Fall Trend: Hunter Green
- Why You Should Get Up Early and Get in Line for the Glitter Sale
- Get Your Glitter On: Tips for Shopping the Glitter Sale
- Make a Statement with an Eye-Catching Necklace
- Glitter Sale Favorites: Designer Shoes
- The Little Black Dress
- Tina’s Picks: If I Were Shopping The Glitter Sale Today, This is What I Would Buy
- In Praise of Burgundy
- Designer Bags Galore at the Glitter Sale!
- How to Create Personal Style: Include Vintage Pieces in the Mix
- Husky Pride at the Glitter Sale
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Holiday Pins
- Find The Perfect Dress for Any Occasion at the Glitter Sale
- Winter Whites Done Right
- The Sheath Dress: A Short History
- All That Glitters – Add Some Sparkle With Brooches
- Shop Marc Jacobs at the Glitter Sale
- Update Your Wardrobe with Gold and Silver Metallics
- Build your Halloween Costume at Goodwill and Save Money!
- Gucci, Coach and Jimmy Choo: Designer Clothing and Accessories at the Glitter Sale
- Fall Fashion: Black and Blue and Seen All Over
- The Ever-Fashionable Animal Print
- Five Tips for New Job Seekers
- From Burberry to North Face, cover up in these jackets and stay dry in the Seattle rain
- Walk out of the Glitter Sale with some amazing designer shoes!
- Fresh Trends for Fall
- The Glitter Sale is Coming Soon!
- Finding a Good Job Fit When You Identify as LGBT
- Our Mission at Work: Meet Dolores
- The Animal Trend Gets Glittery
- All About Leather
- Designer Clothes for Men
- Our Mission at Work: Meet Nutjaree
- Shop Diane von Furstenberg at the Glitter Sale
- Pin Me! Be Bold with Brooches
- September 2012 (5)
- Our Mission at Work: Meet Danilo
- Goodwill Craft Corner: T-shirt Scarves
- Let’s Get to Work: When Potential Employers Ask Illegal Questions
- We're beating the heat in vintage swimsuits
- Our Mission at Work: Meet Oscar
- Stay summery with bold patterns and bright colors
- Donate now at even more locations!
- The grand opening of our South Lake Union store!
- July 2012 (4)