Goodwill Faces: Donald, Brycen, Shawnteal & Farida
November 17, 2016
Recently, we started an ongoing social media series called “Goodwill Faces” that highlights our students, staff, and volunteers involved with Seattle Goodwill. You can tune into our Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to follow our weekly #GoodwillFaces series!
Here are our first four #GoodwillFaces:
Donald first began pursuing his GED in 1976 when he was 25 years old. He didn’t finish, but in 2005 he renewed his mission, and 11 years later, with the help of Goodwill Job Training & Education instructors, he earned his High School 21 Plus diploma June 23, 2016, during Renton Technical College's graduation ceremony.
“Everything that I’ve sought to acquire in life—everything—if things didn’t work out, I’d quit. Job, if it didn’t work out, I was out of there. I’d quit. Married, marriage didn’t work out and things became complicated, I’d quit. I was just known in my own eyes as a quitter. I decided at this point that I wanted to get this GED. I don’t care how long it takes. So I started once again in 2005. Here it is 2016. Until the High School 21 program came along, I would have been doing this until I was 76 years old. I just got tired of viewing myself as a quitter, so I decided I wanted to stick with it.”
Brycen moved to Washington from California when he was a sophomore in high school largely to remove himself from a troubling home situation. He joined Seattle Goodwill’s Youth Aerospace Program as a senior at Snohomish High School and is enrolled at Everett Community College where he’s working toward a career in machine manufacturing.
“My dad was a drug addict, and my birth mom was a drug addict. As you can just imagine, there was a few complications with all of that. (Moving) wasn’t to get away from them, but rather it was to get a new start in life, because from day one it’s been like all-the-odds-against-us kind of thing. With it being an unhealthy atmosphere in California, people weren’t always the nicest, especially myself. I know how I was. Like I said, I’m a man of faith, and I really believe it was God that brought us up here, because of all the random places to pick. To come to Washington and have it working out and stuff and to find Goodwill, it’s like that’s got to be from someone who knows what he is doing... I wouldn’t be where I am now without Goodwill. I wouldn’t be in college. Just the financial steps you have to take just to get into college, I didn’t understand any of them. My mom, single parent, didn’t have any money. She wasn’t very familiar with the next step after high school either. It’s been a really interesting ride.”
Shawnteal came to Goodwill at 21 years old without a job, a high school diploma or a sense of direction in her life. She joined Seattle Goodwill’s Green Corps program, earned her High School 21 Plus diploma during an internship at Goodwill and now three years later she mentors Goodwill’s youth program participants working full time as a Youth Program Assistant.
“When I was young I was a terrible kid. My first time going to juvenile was 10. By the time I was 13, I spent my 13th birthday in juvenile and did two-and-half years in Echo Glen. I got out not caring about myself, not caring whether I lived or died the next day or whatever. I was doing what I wanted to do, whatever I wanted to do. My dad was really abusive, so my mom would try to be more like a friend than a parent. She figured that we already went through enough with my dad, so she was like ‘I don’t really want to put you through too much.’ She was trying to be more like a friend. She wasn’t a bad parent. She just wasn’t strict, so I had a lot of freedom for whatever I wanted to do. So I ended up making bad decisions, hanging with the bad people. From the time I was 21 I was looking like I didn’t have anything. I didn’t have a job. I didn’t have a diploma. I didn’t have anything and then I came here. … Somebody saved me. Somebody came and said, “Listen Shawne, you need to snap out of whatever it is your going through and get this together because you have these opportunities. You’re smart. You’re a leader.’ Somebody came to me and saved me and helped me out, so I feel like I’m obligated to help others and to pay it forward.” - Shawnteal
A year ago Farida immigrated to the United States from Bangladesh in order to live with her husband of five years. Farida immediately went to Goodwill, completed Job Training and Education classes and now works as a cashier at Seattle Goodwill’s Dearborn location.
“I came to the U.S. one year ago. When I came here, the next day I went to Goodwill and I took ESOL Class Level 2. I completed the course successfully. I applied for many jobs, and I got four offers at the same time. But all the time I liked Goodwill, so I chose Goodwill. I worked in a school (in Bangladesh). After five years of teaching, I got a principal position. This is my goal. I love teaching. In my country I completed a Master’s degree, and I hope when I get the chance, I can start education (here).” - Farida
Andrew is a Content Specialist for Seattle Goodwill and has a wealth of writing, communication and digital media experience. He loves all things sports related and owns a treasure trove of memorabilia. He also enjoys storytelling, the outdoors and sugar is his kryptonite.
CONNECT WITH US
SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL
- Goodwill Faces: Keone, Gonzalo, Sahily, Cathie and Loanne
- GiveBIG on May 10
- Goodwill Faces: Erik, Eddie, Sharlese, Paulina
- Check out what's #AtGoodwillNow
- Career Resources (11)
- Cleaning & Organizing (18)
- Community & Partners (110)
- DIY Tips & Tricks (62)
- Donate (60)
- Fashion (121)
- Get Involved (19)
- Glitter Gala (17)
- Glitter Sale (83)
- Goodwill Faces (40)
- Halloween (23)
- Holidays (75)
- Job Training & Education (58)
- Sales, Events, Contests & Giveaways (161)
- Shop (241)
- Sustainability (33)
- Thrifty Kitchen (12)
- Vintage (8)
- Youth Programs (11)
- May 2017 (2)
- April 2017 (6)
- March 2017 (3)
- An alternative to buying new or renting expensive winter sports gear
- Daddy Daughter Dance for Monroe inmates made possible with Seattle Goodwill’s help
- Ten Tips for Cosplay at ECCC + Giveaway
- Breaking Barriers: Our Annual Report is out!
- Collecting cars: How to spot collectible Hot Wheels and Matchbox
- Goodwill Faces: Alison, Joe and Sam, Sherion & Ta'Vion
- Get Free Tax Preparation Help at Goodwill
- How to spot vintage Barbies and G.I. Joes
- Find a gift in our Valentine’s Day Online Sale
- An easy solution for computer disposal
- Understanding art: A matter of perspective
- How 140 Characters Benefited Goodwill
- Top comic books through the ages
- 5 New Year Resolutions Goodwill can help you keep
- Video game consoles come full circle
- Ten Tips for End-of-Year Donations
- The guitar: Seattle music culture's iconic instrument
- DIY: Homemade Menorahs
- Goodwill Faces: New Beginnings
- Thrifty Kitchen: Homemade Holiday Hot Beverages
- DIY: Holiday Shadowbox Décor
- Designer bags: From practical use to fashion statement
- DIY: Gold Accent Mugs
- Uncoding the value of trading cards
- DIY: Glittered Mason Jar Candle Holders
- Vinyl records making a major resurgence
- Goodwill Faces: Shak, Anja, J.C., & Asia
- Goodwill’s Cyber Monday Sale
- Supporting Goodwill on Cyber Monday
- DIY: Festive Book Page Trees
- Baking with Goodwill: Bourbon Pumpkin Pie
- Sparkle Sale Preview
- 5 things to look for when shopping Goodwill's brooches
- Goodwill Faces: Donald, Brycen, Shawnteal & Farida
- Sports memorabilia evokes nostalgic moments for fans
- Glitter Sale 2016: The Best of the Rest!
- Glitter Sale 2016: Celebrate the craftsmanship of Coach!
- Glitter Sale 2016: Shopping Tips
- Glitter Sale 2016: Spotlight on Designers
- Halloween DIY: Frankenstein
- Halloween DIY: David Bowie
- Halloween DIY: Spock
- Halloween DIY: Kitten
- Halloween DIY: Prince
- Halloween DIY: Zombie
- 5 trendy Halloween costumes for 2016, plus tips
- Glitter Sale 2016: A shoe for every season!
- Halloween Makeup DIY: Deer
- Making a great Halloween costume with Goodwill is quick and easy
- Glitter Sale 2016: Celebrating Seahawks
- Halloween 2016 Contests & Giveaways
- Glitter Gala Fashion Interns
- Glitter Sale 2016: The First Look
- Glitter Gala Styling Intern Profile: Monstrociti Wuest
- Camera availability changing our social lives
- September 2016 (6)
- August 2016 (4)
- July 2016 (7)
- June 2016 (4)
- Planning your Memorial Day Sale thrift store tour
- Budget-Friendly Camping in the PNW
- Sustainable Office: For Startups & Small Business
- Sustainable Office: Renovate, Donate
- Goodwill + Luxe = Convenient Donations
- Coming to our Flagship Store: Sustainable Office Popup Shop
- Israel Juarez: Winner of the 2016 Edgar J. Helms Award for Graduate Staff
- April 2016 (4)
- March 2016 (5)
- February 2016 (6)
- January 2016 (4)
- 10 Items you should donate before 2016
- Good Holidays: DIY New Year’s Eve party table centerpiece
- Good Holidays: Cookie Gifts
- Good Holidays: Scrap Fabric Garland DIY
- Good Holidays: DIY String Light Ornaments
- Good Holidays: Decorating on a budget
- Setting the table for #GoodHolidays
- Ten holiday must-haves that you can thrift
- Good Holidays: How to White Elephant like a pro
- Good Holidays: DIY Ugly Christmas Sweater
- Cyber Monday shopping: AmazonSmile & Give Back Box
- 15 Holiday Events around the Puget Sound
- 6 ways you can make an impact while you holiday shop
- Glitter Sale 2015: The best of the rest
- Glitter Sale 2015: Evening and Cocktail Dresses
- Glitter Sale 2015: Tips for Shopping
- Glitter Sale 2015: Shoppers Talk Glitter
- Glitter Sale 2015: Designer Accessories
- Glitter Sale 2015: The brooch is back!
- Glitter Sale 2015: A Closer Look at Coach
- Glitter Gala Fashion Show & Super Heroes
- Glitter Sale 2015: Make a statement!
- Glitter Gala Stylist Intern: Hannah Larson
- It’s time for Glitter Sale 2015!
- Celebrating Halloween with local bloggers
- Where to Trick or Treat— All Over Puget Sound!
- Glitter Gala Stylist Intern: Trisha Jack
- Halloween Costume Contest & Giveaways Prize List
- Glitter Gala Stylist Intern: Heather Nyland
- Ellena's Story
- What’s on deck for Halloween 2015
- Vote Seattle Goodwill "Best Vintage and Resale"!
- Comcast Donates Backpacks to Seattle Goodwill
- Rainy Day Fun
- Customer Appreciation Days
- September is National Preparedness Month
- It's National Clean Out Your Garage Day!
- 5 simple tools that can help your family stay organized this school year
- Glitter Gala 2015: The Goodwill Design Challenge
- Make the most out of your commute: Seattle
- Upcoming Events: Fall 2015
- Make the most out of your commute: South
- Back-to-School Thrifting
- Make the most out of your commute: Kitsap Peninsula
- Tips from Declutterella: Help your kids declutter
- Make the most out of your commute: Up North
- Tips from Declutterella: How to ease into the back-to-school transition
- Bank of America Summer Intern Highlight: Kasia
- Design Your Dorm Room (on a college student’s budget)
- July 2015 (5)
- June 2015 (6)
- May 2015 (5)
- April 2015 (3)
- March 2015 (4)
- Designer Accessory Sale 2015 Preview: Casual Shoes
- Designer Accessory Sale 2015 Preview: Black Bags
- Oscar Glam, Goodwill Finds
- Festivities and Fun for Chinese New Year
- Expanded vintage selection at U-District!
- Thrifty Valentine’s Day Ideas: Treasure Hunt
- Thrifty Valentine's Day Ideas: Outdoor Adventures
- Thrifty Valentine’s Day Ideas: Throwback Fun
- Thrifty Valentine's Day Ideas: Coffee Cupping
- Thrifty Valentine's Day Ideas: Thrift Shop Gift Challenge
- Thrifty Valentine's Day Ideas: Variations on a Picnic
- Thrifty Valentine's Day Ideas: Private Movie Theater
- Thrifty Valentine's Day Ideas: Arts & Crafts
- Thrifty Valentine's Day Ideas: Ingredients-Only Potluck
- Thrifty Valentine's Day Ideas: Ferry Ride Picnic
- Thrifty Valentine's Day Ideas: Game Night
- January 2015 (6)
- December 2014 (2)
- Sparkle Sale: Cyber Monday Preview
- Seven ways to save money AND the environment during holiday party season
- Holiday DIY: Peacock Ornaments
- The Holidays Are Here!
- Glitter Sale 2014: The Best of the Rest
- Glitter Sale 2014: Make a Statement!
- Tips for Shopping the Glitter Sale
- Glitter Sale 2014: Holiday Brooches and Pins!
- Glitter Sale 2014: Get Ready to Party - Evening Gowns & Cocktail Dresses!
- Glitter Sale 2014: Brooch the Subject!
- Glitter Sale 2014: Celebrating Diane von Furstenberg!
- Glitter Sale 2014: Marc Jacobs
- Glitter Sale 2014: Dooney & Bourke
- Glitter Sale 2014: Little Black Dress
- Meet Erik Albidress: Makeup Artist
- Glitter Sale 2014: Discover Designer Jewelry at the Glitter Sale!
- Glitter Sale 2014: Creating style with Coach!
- Meet Ron Leamon: Professional Costume Designer
- Glitter Gala Interns: Jenn
- Glitter Sale 2014: Kate Spade
- Glitter Sale 2014: First Look
- Glitter Gala Interns: Sonya
- Halloween Trends 2014
- September 2014 (4)
- August 2014 (2)
- The Thrift Whisperer: Interview with Kim Holcomb
- Family Health & Safety Fair
- Thrifting is more fun than traffic
- Bringing instruments back to life: Mike & Mike’s Guitar Bar
- Eastside Treasures – Interview with Rebecca Klein
- Summer Online Music Festival & Giveaway
- Julie LaPuma: Manager of the largest Goodwill in the US
- All About Kate
- June 2014 (4)
- May 2014 (4)
- April 2014 (2)
- March 2014 (4)
- February 2014 (4)
- December 2013 (3)
- Glitter Sale 2013 Raises Record Amount
- Making Room for 2013 Glitter Sale Finds
- The Mission at Work – Innocent’s Story
- Glitter Sale Preview 2013: The Best of the Rest
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Vintage Finds
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Tips for Shopping the Glitter Sale
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: UW Pride
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: The Perfect Handbag
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Holiday Pins
- Glitter Sale Preview: Mad for Plaid
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Designer Shoes
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Crushing on Coach
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Animal Prints - Walk on the Wild Side
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: The Little Black Dress
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Winter Whites
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Burberry
- Halloween Costume Ideas and Contests
- Zipcar and Goodwill Partner for Donation Day Seattle on October 19
- Glitter Sale 2013: Eye Catching Emerald Green!
- Going for LEED Gold
- Goodwill is your Halloween Headquarters
- September 2013 (2)
- August 2013 (6)
- July 2013 (2)
- June 2013 (2)
- Come to the Goodwill Ribbon Cutting and Open House
- Goodwill Collecting Donations at Sasquatch Festival
- Give Goodwill!
- My New Book Club: Easy and Cheap
- Celebrating 90 Years | Learning at Seattle Goodwill
- Celebrating 90 Years | Live Hi Up - An Interview with Angela Moorer
- Donate Today and Help Build The Future
- Shopping Goodwill – My Favorite Finds
- Beyoncé is Lending Her Voice for GOOD
- Board Member and Volunteer James Thomas Helps Us Celebrate National Volunteer Week
- Put It Down For the Town - Celebrate Earth Day with Macklemore Monday!
- Donate to Goodwill in Honor of Earth Day
- Participate in our Earth Day Giveaway for a Chance to Win Macklemore Tickets!
- Celebrating 90 Years | Goodwill Style with Darcy Camden
- Spring Cleaning Helps Others Find Jobs
- Rat City Rollergirls Talk Thrift!
- Celebrating 90 Years | Store Manager Israel Juarez Knows the Power of Education
- Celebrating 90 Years | Volunteering at Goodwill
- Salvaging 35 Million Pounds
- Shop in Style at the Urban Girls’ Garage Sale
- Celebrating 90 Years | Shopping for Goodwill Fashions with Blogger Jess Estrada
- Celebrating 90 Years | The Early History of Seattle Goodwill
- Shop Our Designer Accessory Sale Starting Tomorrow!
- Water Cooler Conversations – What Not to Say
- Celebrating 90 Years - The Gift of Education
- Our Designer Accessory Sale is next Friday and Saturday!
- Celebrating 90 Years - Tina Witherspoon is Hooked on Thrift
- Get Organized – Tips to De-Clutter Your Life
- Celebrating 90 Years - Stories from the Community
- Celebrating 90 Years - Job Training at Goodwill
- Dress For the Job You Want
- Celebrating 90 Years – Charles Cross Talks Music, Mugs and Cheap Furniture
- Celebrating 90 Years - Thrifting Tips from Kim Holcomb
- Attend the Finale of Seattle’s Fashion Reality Show, The Look!
- Help Goodwill Celebrate 90 Years!
- January 2013 (4)
- December 2012 (4)
- Our Mission at Work: Meet Mary Jane
- Are You Ready for Winter Weather?
- Winter Wardrobe Wonderland
- Thank You for Making the 2012 Glitter Sale a Success!
- Glitter Sale 2012 is Finally Here - Time to Grab Some Designer Flats!
- Glitter Sale 2012: Get That Great Gatsby Look
- Glitter Sale 2012: Fresh Fall Trend: Hunter Green
- Glitter Sale 2012: Why You Should Get Up Early and Get in Line
- Glitter Sale 2012: Tips for Shopping the Glitter Sale
- Glitter Sale 2012: Make a Statement with an Eye-Catching Necklace
- Glitter Sale 2012 Favorites: Designer Shoes
- Glitter Sale 2012: The Little Black Dress
- Glitter Sale 2012: Tina’s Picks: If I Were Shopping Today, This is What I Would Buy
- Glitter Sale 2012: In Praise of Burgundy
- Glitter Sale 2012: Designer Bags Galore!
- Glitter Sale 2012: How to Create Personal Style: Include Vintage Pieces in the Mix
- Glitter Sale 2012: Husky Pride
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Holiday Pins
- Glitter Sale 2012: Find The Perfect Dress for Any Occasion
- Glitter Sale 2012: Winter Whites Done Right
- Glitter Sale 2012: The Sheath Dress: A Short History
- Glitter Sale 2012: All That Glitters – Add Some Sparkle With Brooches
- Glitter Sale 2012: Shop Marc Jacobs
- Glitter Sale 2012: Update Your Wardrobe with Gold and Silver Metallics
- Build your Halloween Costume at Goodwill and Save Money!
- Glitter Sale 2012: Gucci, Coach and Jimmy Choo: Designer Clothing and Accessories
- Glitter Sale 2012: Fall Fashion: Black and Blue and Seen All Over
- Glitter Sale 2012: The Ever-Fashionable Animal Print
- Five Tips for New Job Seekers
- Glitter Sale 2012: From Burberry to North Face, cover up in these jackets and stay dry in the Seattle rain
- Glitter Sale 2012: Walk out with some amazing designer shoes!
- Glitter Sale 2012: Fresh Trends for Fall
- Glitter Sale 2012: Coming Soon!
- Finding a Good Job Fit When You Identify as LGBT
- Our Mission at Work: Meet Dolores
- Glitter 2012: The Animal Trend Gets Glittery
- Glitter Sale 2012: All About Leather
- Glitter Sale 2012: Designer Clothes for Men
- Our Mission at Work: Meet Nutjaree
- Glitter Sale 2012: Shop Diane von Furstenberg
- Glitter Sale 2012: Pin Me! Be Bold with Brooches
- September 2012 (5)
- Our Mission at Work: Meet Danilo
- Goodwill Craft Corner: T-shirt Scarves
- Let’s Get to Work: When Potential Employers Ask Illegal Questions
- We're beating the heat in vintage swimsuits
- Our Mission at Work: Meet Oscar
- Stay summery with bold patterns and bright colors
- Donate now at even more locations!
- The grand opening of our South Lake Union store!
- July 2012 (4)