Goodwill Faces: Erik, Eddie, Sharlese, Paulina
April 26, 2017
During the early 1970s when the Vietnam War was in full force, Erik, who had only recently graduated high school, applied for and was granted conscientious objector status. Therefore, instead of being drafted, Erik for two years had to work at what was called a sheltered workshop—work that contributed to the community good. With only one week left to find work, Erik came across Seattle Goodwill while picking up gear for a backpacking trip. Erik was hired, and the two years he spent working at Goodwill provided him with plenty of special memories that still last today. Goodwill’s flagship store off Dearborn Street is where he first met his wife Vicki of 36 years, and he even contributed cartoons to Goodwill’s employee newsletter. Some of Erik’s fondest memories involved sorting through donations and finding locked suitcases, hoping him and his co-workers had stumbled across a treasured item trapped inside. Even back in the early 1970s, Erik said Goodwill placed an emphasis on workforce development. Supervisors were responsible for coaching employees on soft skills such as punctuality, work ethic and communication.
“On staff at the time was a chaplain. Every Wednesday morning anybody who wanted to get out of work for half an hour and go to a church service could do so. I was one of those guys. The chaplain would invite priests, pastors, rabbis, sometimes guest singers. One day a gal came in. Her name was Vicki. It was around Easter time, and she was a good singer. When chapel was over, they would open those doors and everybody would line up and shake the hand of the guest speaker. She was the guest that day, so 100 people shook her hand. I would always ask her, ‘Do you remember meeting me that day?’ She’d say no, but I remember meeting her. Because of the influence of the chaplain, I would end up going to church and that was the church she went to. We dated for a number of years and got married in 1977. We had a great 36 years together, and she passed away in 2013. I miss her still, but it was somewhat of a sacred moment (today) to see that turf where we met. Every day was an adventure (at Goodwill). It was a great two years. There were probably days where I wasn’t having so much fun, but I don’t remember those. I remember the good times.”
From growing up in Brooklyn, N.Y. to serving eight years in the military completing a tour in Iraq and another in Afghanistan, Eddie has traveled a long road to Seattle Goodwill, and along the way he has developed a strong passion for helping others. While in Iraq, Eddie connected with a military member who worked in human resources and decided he himself wanted to do HR work. During Eddie’s tour in Afghanistan he did just that. Eddie earned his human resources degree and connected with Seattle Goodwill after leaving the military, first earning a temporary position in Goodwill’s Job Training and Education Department that turned into a permanent role. Now he works as an employee education specialist, connecting Goodwill employees to the organization’s many benefits that place an emphasis on workforce development. He does store outreach, leads training workshops and is constantly looking out for employees’ best interests with his infectious personality.
“If we have an employee that says, ‘I am having homelessness issues,’ I want to take care of that. I want to show them where they can go to get help with that. I want to point them in the direction of our case managers we have in Job Training and Education. I want to connect the dots for them. My role in this company is to help every employee. It doesn’t matter if you are the lowest person or the highest person. I want to help you. Honestly, it’s a wonderful aspect to meet a lot of people, but you know what, I’m not happy that I’m affecting them. I’m happy they are affecting me. Because talking to people you learn so much. You learn a different culture. You learn a different lifestyle. You learn different problems and issues and how you can help them overcome them. Something that I was always told is that you should learn at least one thing new every day. So the fact I get the opportunity to talk to all these employees, I learn. And knowledge is power.”
Sharlese always knew she wanted to be involved in music in some capacity. When she was in high school, she’d record songs on the radio and use those to put together mixtapes for her listening pleasure. She’s been fortunate to make a career out her passion, working at Seattle radio station KEXP since 2007. The ability to make a career out of something you love was a message she delivered to participants in Seattle Goodwill’s youth programs during a past speaking opportunity, and that’s just one way she is connected to Goodwill. She’s a frequent shopper at the Capitol Hill Goodwill location and, now a KEXP DJ and events producer hosting Saturday’s Audioasis show from 6-9 pm, Sharlese has worked as an MC the past two years for Seattle Goodwill’s #breakup4good Earth Day concert, which encourages people to break up or donate an item to Goodwill for Earth Day. She’s excited to MC for the third year this spring on April 20 at the Tractor Tavern.
“The Break Up For Good event provides another way to promote local music, which is really fun and important. It’s also the music creativity and being able to put together a good bill that has people align themselves with something like Goodwill, which is really special and impressive. Not only is Goodwill a retail shop, it uses its funds to help people find jobs and get education and get into the work force. I think that is really special. Putting it together has really been a cool experience, and it is something I will never forget. I feel like coming together to support Goodwill is a really important thing.”
Ever since Paulina came to the United States 12 years ago from Tecate, Baja California in Mexico, she’s had her hands full raising a household full of kids. Her husband works long hours to provide for their family, so Paulina is left to take care of the children. Paulina never finished high school. She’s had a desire to, but has been too busy as a mother of four children to focus on her own career. Two years ago she caught a glimpse of South Everett’s Job Training and Education Center while traveling down the road and decided to look into what Seattle Goodwill had to offer. Paulina began taking Goodwill’s GED test preparation classes, and with a tremendous amount of hard work and persistence she earned her GED a month ago. Paulina has also taken Goodwill’s Microsoft Excel class and is currently in a Career Pathways course, as she hopes to go to college to become a teacher or a nurse.
“I see the street and say, ‘Oh, is that a learning center?’ Maybe I will go there and see what their requirements are to be a student. I don’t think about it, I just came. I was very nervous, because those years my English was not good. I came and turned in the papers and everybody was so friendly. I felt so comfortable. Getting my GED, I was so happy. I was almost jumping, so excited. I almost cried because all my teachers they see how I work hard. I know this is an example for my kids, and they can follow my steps. They see if my mother can do it, I can do it. I have a lot of friends that are single mothers, and they feel stuck. They ask, ‘Do you know a place for single mothers to come back to school?’ And I say, ‘Goodwill, they have helped me a lot.’ They see what I get step-by-step, and they want to come, and they say, ‘I want to go there. Tell me more about this place.’”
Andrew is a Content Specialist for Seattle Goodwill and has a wealth of writing, communication and digital media experience. He loves all things sports related and owns a treasure trove of memorabilia. He also enjoys storytelling, the outdoors and sugar is his kryptonite.
CONNECT WITH US
SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL
- DIY Succulent Terrarium
- Adopt a pet at Goodwill this summer!
- DIY Mini Herb Garden
- Goodwill Faces: Keone, Gonzalo, Sahily, Cathie and Loanne
- Career Resources (11)
- Cleaning & Organizing (18)
- Community & Partners (111)
- DIY Tips & Tricks (64)
- Donate (60)
- Fashion (121)
- Get Involved (19)
- Glitter Gala (17)
- Glitter Sale (83)
- Goodwill Faces (40)
- Halloween (23)
- Holidays (75)
- Job Training & Education (58)
- Sales, Events, Contests & Giveaways (162)
- Shop (244)
- Sustainability (33)
- Thrifty Kitchen (13)
- Vintage (8)
- Youth Programs (11)
- June 2017 (3)
- May 2017 (2)
- April 2017 (6)
- March 2017 (3)
- An alternative to buying new or renting expensive winter sports gear
- Daddy Daughter Dance for Monroe inmates made possible with Seattle Goodwill’s help
- Ten Tips for Cosplay at ECCC + Giveaway
- Breaking Barriers: Our Annual Report is out!
- Collecting cars: How to spot collectible Hot Wheels and Matchbox
- Goodwill Faces: Alison, Joe and Sam, Sherion & Ta'Vion
- Get Free Tax Preparation Help at Goodwill
- How to spot vintage Barbies and G.I. Joes
- Find a gift in our Valentine’s Day Online Sale
- An easy solution for computer disposal
- Understanding art: A matter of perspective
- How 140 Characters Benefited Goodwill
- Top comic books through the ages
- 5 New Year Resolutions Goodwill can help you keep
- Video game consoles come full circle
- Ten Tips for End-of-Year Donations
- The guitar: Seattle music culture's iconic instrument
- DIY: Homemade Menorahs
- Goodwill Faces: New Beginnings
- Thrifty Kitchen: Homemade Holiday Hot Beverages
- DIY: Holiday Shadowbox Décor
- Designer bags: From practical use to fashion statement
- DIY: Gold Accent Mugs
- Uncoding the value of trading cards
- DIY: Glittered Mason Jar Candle Holders
- Vinyl records making a major resurgence
- Goodwill Faces: Shak, Anja, J.C., & Asia
- Goodwill’s Cyber Monday Sale
- Supporting Goodwill on Cyber Monday
- DIY: Festive Book Page Trees
- Baking with Goodwill: Bourbon Pumpkin Pie
- Sparkle Sale Preview
- 5 things to look for when shopping Goodwill's brooches
- Goodwill Faces: Donald, Brycen, Shawnteal & Farida
- Sports memorabilia evokes nostalgic moments for fans
- Glitter Sale 2016: The Best of the Rest!
- Glitter Sale 2016: Celebrate the craftsmanship of Coach!
- Glitter Sale 2016: Shopping Tips
- Glitter Sale 2016: Spotlight on Designers
- Halloween DIY: Frankenstein
- Halloween DIY: David Bowie
- Halloween DIY: Spock
- Halloween DIY: Kitten
- Halloween DIY: Prince
- Halloween DIY: Zombie
- 5 trendy Halloween costumes for 2016, plus tips
- Glitter Sale 2016: A shoe for every season!
- Halloween Makeup DIY: Deer
- Making a great Halloween costume with Goodwill is quick and easy
- Glitter Sale 2016: Celebrating Seahawks
- Halloween 2016 Contests & Giveaways
- Glitter Gala Fashion Interns
- Glitter Sale 2016: The First Look
- Glitter Gala Styling Intern Profile: Monstrociti Wuest
- Camera availability changing our social lives
- September 2016 (6)
- August 2016 (4)
- July 2016 (7)
- June 2016 (4)
- Planning your Memorial Day Sale thrift store tour
- Budget-Friendly Camping in the PNW
- Sustainable Office: For Startups & Small Business
- Sustainable Office: Renovate, Donate
- Goodwill + Luxe = Convenient Donations
- Coming to our Flagship Store: Sustainable Office Popup Shop
- Israel Juarez: Winner of the 2016 Edgar J. Helms Award for Graduate Staff
- April 2016 (4)
- March 2016 (5)
- February 2016 (6)
- January 2016 (4)
- 10 Items you should donate before 2016
- Good Holidays: DIY New Year’s Eve party table centerpiece
- Good Holidays: Cookie Gifts
- Good Holidays: Scrap Fabric Garland DIY
- Good Holidays: DIY String Light Ornaments
- Good Holidays: Decorating on a budget
- Setting the table for #GoodHolidays
- Ten holiday must-haves that you can thrift
- Good Holidays: How to White Elephant like a pro
- Good Holidays: DIY Ugly Christmas Sweater
- Cyber Monday shopping: AmazonSmile & Give Back Box
- 15 Holiday Events around the Puget Sound
- 6 ways you can make an impact while you holiday shop
- Glitter Sale 2015: The best of the rest
- Glitter Sale 2015: Evening and Cocktail Dresses
- Glitter Sale 2015: Tips for Shopping
- Glitter Sale 2015: Shoppers Talk Glitter
- Glitter Sale 2015: Designer Accessories
- Glitter Sale 2015: The brooch is back!
- Glitter Sale 2015: A Closer Look at Coach
- Glitter Gala Fashion Show & Super Heroes
- Glitter Sale 2015: Make a statement!
- Glitter Gala Stylist Intern: Hannah Larson
- It’s time for Glitter Sale 2015!
- Celebrating Halloween with local bloggers
- Where to Trick or Treat— All Over Puget Sound!
- Glitter Gala Stylist Intern: Trisha Jack
- Halloween Costume Contest & Giveaways Prize List
- Glitter Gala Stylist Intern: Heather Nyland
- Ellena's Story
- What’s on deck for Halloween 2015
- Vote Seattle Goodwill "Best Vintage and Resale"!
- Comcast Donates Backpacks to Seattle Goodwill
- Rainy Day Fun
- Customer Appreciation Days
- September is National Preparedness Month
- It's National Clean Out Your Garage Day!
- 5 simple tools that can help your family stay organized this school year
- Glitter Gala 2015: The Goodwill Design Challenge
- Make the most out of your commute: Seattle
- Upcoming Events: Fall 2015
- Make the most out of your commute: South
- Back-to-School Thrifting
- Make the most out of your commute: Kitsap Peninsula
- Tips from Declutterella: Help your kids declutter
- Make the most out of your commute: Up North
- Tips from Declutterella: How to ease into the back-to-school transition
- Bank of America Summer Intern Highlight: Kasia
- Design Your Dorm Room (on a college student’s budget)
- July 2015 (5)
- June 2015 (6)
- May 2015 (5)
- April 2015 (3)
- March 2015 (4)
- Designer Accessory Sale 2015 Preview: Casual Shoes
- Designer Accessory Sale 2015 Preview: Black Bags
- Oscar Glam, Goodwill Finds
- Festivities and Fun for Chinese New Year
- Expanded vintage selection at U-District!
- Thrifty Valentine’s Day Ideas: Treasure Hunt
- Thrifty Valentine's Day Ideas: Outdoor Adventures
- Thrifty Valentine’s Day Ideas: Throwback Fun
- Thrifty Valentine's Day Ideas: Coffee Cupping
- Thrifty Valentine's Day Ideas: Thrift Shop Gift Challenge
- Thrifty Valentine's Day Ideas: Variations on a Picnic
- Thrifty Valentine's Day Ideas: Private Movie Theater
- Thrifty Valentine's Day Ideas: Arts & Crafts
- Thrifty Valentine's Day Ideas: Ingredients-Only Potluck
- Thrifty Valentine's Day Ideas: Ferry Ride Picnic
- Thrifty Valentine's Day Ideas: Game Night
- January 2015 (6)
- December 2014 (2)
- Sparkle Sale: Cyber Monday Preview
- Seven ways to save money AND the environment during holiday party season
- Holiday DIY: Peacock Ornaments
- The Holidays Are Here!
- Glitter Sale 2014: The Best of the Rest
- Glitter Sale 2014: Make a Statement!
- Tips for Shopping the Glitter Sale
- Glitter Sale 2014: Holiday Brooches and Pins!
- Glitter Sale 2014: Get Ready to Party - Evening Gowns & Cocktail Dresses!
- Glitter Sale 2014: Brooch the Subject!
- Glitter Sale 2014: Celebrating Diane von Furstenberg!
- Glitter Sale 2014: Marc Jacobs
- Glitter Sale 2014: Dooney & Bourke
- Glitter Sale 2014: Little Black Dress
- Meet Erik Albidress: Makeup Artist
- Glitter Sale 2014: Discover Designer Jewelry at the Glitter Sale!
- Glitter Sale 2014: Creating style with Coach!
- Meet Ron Leamon: Professional Costume Designer
- Glitter Gala Interns: Jenn
- Glitter Sale 2014: Kate Spade
- Glitter Sale 2014: First Look
- Glitter Gala Interns: Sonya
- Halloween Trends 2014
- September 2014 (4)
- August 2014 (2)
- The Thrift Whisperer: Interview with Kim Holcomb
- Family Health & Safety Fair
- Thrifting is more fun than traffic
- Bringing instruments back to life: Mike & Mike’s Guitar Bar
- Eastside Treasures – Interview with Rebecca Klein
- Summer Online Music Festival & Giveaway
- Julie LaPuma: Manager of the largest Goodwill in the US
- All About Kate
- June 2014 (4)
- May 2014 (4)
- April 2014 (2)
- March 2014 (4)
- February 2014 (4)
- December 2013 (3)
- Glitter Sale 2013 Raises Record Amount
- Making Room for 2013 Glitter Sale Finds
- The Mission at Work – Innocent’s Story
- Glitter Sale Preview 2013: The Best of the Rest
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Vintage Finds
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Tips for Shopping the Glitter Sale
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: UW Pride
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: The Perfect Handbag
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Holiday Pins
- Glitter Sale Preview: Mad for Plaid
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Designer Shoes
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Crushing on Coach
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Animal Prints - Walk on the Wild Side
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: The Little Black Dress
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Winter Whites
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Burberry
- Halloween Costume Ideas and Contests
- Zipcar and Goodwill Partner for Donation Day Seattle on October 19
- Glitter Sale 2013: Eye Catching Emerald Green!
- Going for LEED Gold
- Goodwill is your Halloween Headquarters
- September 2013 (2)
- August 2013 (6)
- July 2013 (2)
- June 2013 (2)
- Come to the Goodwill Ribbon Cutting and Open House
- Goodwill Collecting Donations at Sasquatch Festival
- Give Goodwill!
- My New Book Club: Easy and Cheap
- Celebrating 90 Years | Learning at Seattle Goodwill
- Celebrating 90 Years | Live Hi Up - An Interview with Angela Moorer
- Donate Today and Help Build The Future
- Shopping Goodwill – My Favorite Finds
- Beyoncé is Lending Her Voice for GOOD
- Board Member and Volunteer James Thomas Helps Us Celebrate National Volunteer Week
- Put It Down For the Town - Celebrate Earth Day with Macklemore Monday!
- Donate to Goodwill in Honor of Earth Day
- Participate in our Earth Day Giveaway for a Chance to Win Macklemore Tickets!
- Celebrating 90 Years | Goodwill Style with Darcy Camden
- Spring Cleaning Helps Others Find Jobs
- Rat City Rollergirls Talk Thrift!
- Celebrating 90 Years | Store Manager Israel Juarez Knows the Power of Education
- Celebrating 90 Years | Volunteering at Goodwill
- Salvaging 35 Million Pounds
- Shop in Style at the Urban Girls’ Garage Sale
- Celebrating 90 Years | Shopping for Goodwill Fashions with Blogger Jess Estrada
- Celebrating 90 Years | The Early History of Seattle Goodwill
- Shop Our Designer Accessory Sale Starting Tomorrow!
- Water Cooler Conversations – What Not to Say
- Celebrating 90 Years - The Gift of Education
- Our Designer Accessory Sale is next Friday and Saturday!
- Celebrating 90 Years - Tina Witherspoon is Hooked on Thrift
- Get Organized – Tips to De-Clutter Your Life
- Celebrating 90 Years - Stories from the Community
- Celebrating 90 Years - Job Training at Goodwill
- Dress For the Job You Want
- Celebrating 90 Years – Charles Cross Talks Music, Mugs and Cheap Furniture
- Celebrating 90 Years - Thrifting Tips from Kim Holcomb
- Attend the Finale of Seattle’s Fashion Reality Show, The Look!
- Help Goodwill Celebrate 90 Years!
- January 2013 (4)
- December 2012 (4)
- Our Mission at Work: Meet Mary Jane
- Are You Ready for Winter Weather?
- Winter Wardrobe Wonderland
- Thank You for Making the 2012 Glitter Sale a Success!
- Glitter Sale 2012 is Finally Here - Time to Grab Some Designer Flats!
- Glitter Sale 2012: Get That Great Gatsby Look
- Glitter Sale 2012: Fresh Fall Trend: Hunter Green
- Glitter Sale 2012: Why You Should Get Up Early and Get in Line
- Glitter Sale 2012: Tips for Shopping the Glitter Sale
- Glitter Sale 2012: Make a Statement with an Eye-Catching Necklace
- Glitter Sale 2012 Favorites: Designer Shoes
- Glitter Sale 2012: The Little Black Dress
- Glitter Sale 2012: Tina’s Picks: If I Were Shopping Today, This is What I Would Buy
- Glitter Sale 2012: In Praise of Burgundy
- Glitter Sale 2012: Designer Bags Galore!
- Glitter Sale 2012: How to Create Personal Style: Include Vintage Pieces in the Mix
- Glitter Sale 2012: Husky Pride
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Holiday Pins
- Glitter Sale 2012: Find The Perfect Dress for Any Occasion
- Glitter Sale 2012: Winter Whites Done Right
- Glitter Sale 2012: The Sheath Dress: A Short History
- Glitter Sale 2012: All That Glitters – Add Some Sparkle With Brooches
- Glitter Sale 2012: Shop Marc Jacobs
- Glitter Sale 2012: Update Your Wardrobe with Gold and Silver Metallics
- Build your Halloween Costume at Goodwill and Save Money!
- Glitter Sale 2012: Gucci, Coach and Jimmy Choo: Designer Clothing and Accessories
- Glitter Sale 2012: Fall Fashion: Black and Blue and Seen All Over
- Glitter Sale 2012: The Ever-Fashionable Animal Print
- Five Tips for New Job Seekers
- Glitter Sale 2012: From Burberry to North Face, cover up in these jackets and stay dry in the Seattle rain
- Glitter Sale 2012: Walk out with some amazing designer shoes!
- Glitter Sale 2012: Fresh Trends for Fall
- Glitter Sale 2012: Coming Soon!
- Finding a Good Job Fit When You Identify as LGBT
- Our Mission at Work: Meet Dolores
- Glitter 2012: The Animal Trend Gets Glittery
- Glitter Sale 2012: All About Leather
- Glitter Sale 2012: Designer Clothes for Men
- Our Mission at Work: Meet Nutjaree
- Glitter Sale 2012: Shop Diane von Furstenberg
- Glitter Sale 2012: Pin Me! Be Bold with Brooches
- September 2012 (5)
- Our Mission at Work: Meet Danilo
- Goodwill Craft Corner: T-shirt Scarves
- Let’s Get to Work: When Potential Employers Ask Illegal Questions
- We're beating the heat in vintage swimsuits
- Our Mission at Work: Meet Oscar
- Stay summery with bold patterns and bright colors
- Donate now at even more locations!
- The grand opening of our South Lake Union store!
- July 2012 (4)