September 12, 2017
When the summer temperature drops and that cool, crisp fall air rolls in, we at Seattle Goodwill start getting excited. Color-changing leaves and the beginning of football season marks the beginning of a different season for us — Glitter and Halloween season. Some of our favorite holidays and most exciting events are coming up in the next few months. Here's a look at everything we have going on, and make sure to follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for holiday and event updates.
GLITTER GALA AND FASHION SHOW: November 4
This is our 10th annual Glitter Gala & Fashion Show—and we’re excited to gather with community and business leaders at our only fundraising event. Our theme this year is Universe of Potential, and all proceeds will support our wraparound services, which are critical to our students while they complete courses and work toward a better economic future for themselves.
There will be a cocktail hour featuring a prize raffle, silent auction, bling toss and also a pop-up shop. After cocktail hour, we’ll settle in for thematically inspired fine dining and the fashion show. Afterward, guests are encouraged to stick around for the after party, where guests can dance the night away and meet fashion show designers.
SHOP HALLOWEEN: In stores now!
Swing by one of our stores for all of your Halloween costume needs—from base pieces to alter and create something new—to ready-made costumes—and all the accessories and makeup you may need to create the perfect look.
DIY TOUR: October 7-22
Do you LOVE Halloween like we do, but don’t know where to get started when it comes to crafting that perfect costume? Or maybe you’re a costume pro but just want to add some more creative ideas to your repertoire. We’re here to help, and we’re coming your way! New this Halloween season is our DIY Tour, which will make stops during the weekends between October 7-22 in Seattle, Redmond, Silverdale, Capitol Hill, Monroe, Shoreline, Juanita, South Everett, Edmonds and Bellingham. Make sure to check-in on our social channels for updated information.
GIVEAWAYS: October 20-November 1
Tune into our social media channels on weekdays from October 20 – November 1 to enter to win a variety of local prize packages. As we get closer to the giveaways, we’ll release the list of prizes and giveaway days.
COSTUME CONTEST: October 17-November 2
Submit a photo of you or your child in this year’s Halloween costume for a chance to win some awesome prizes! In past years we’ve had prizes like tickets to a Seahawks game, Deck the Hall Ball, or other local big-name concerts!
Stay tuned on our blog and social media channels like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for contest and giveaway details—as well as costume inspiration and DIYs! Use #GoodwillHLWN to show off your costume progress on social media!
GLITTER SALE PREVIEW SHOP
Curious when the Preview Shop Sale is happening? Want to know where, when and how to get tickets? RSVP to our Glitter Sale Facebook Event.
GLITTER SALE: November 11-12
This is our biggest, best, brightest and arguably most fun sale of the year. Shoppers come from all over the country to shop for eveningwear, purses, shoes, jewelry, designer labels and vintage fashion in this two-day shopping event. Tune into our blog and Facebook Event Page for previews, tips and information about the Glitter Sale Preview Shop event! Use #GlitterSale to share your finds—and see finds from others.
THANKSGIVING: November 23
Our stores, donation sites, job training and education centers and administrative offices close each year on Thanksgiving so our staff can enjoy the holiday with their loved ones.
AFTER THANKSGIVING SALE: November 24
Stay tuned on our Sales & Events calendar for store hours and details on our After Thanksgiving Sale!
October 29, 2016
A classic year after year, you can’t go wrong with an iconic Frankenstein costume.
Here’s a fun Frankenstein fact: Did you know the 8-foot monster with facial scars and bolts in his neck isn’t really named Frankenstein? In fact, the real Frankenstein—in author Mary Shelley’s 1818 novel—is the monster’s creator, Victor Frankenstein. The monster, who in the novel was addressed as creature, fiend, spectre, the demon, wretch, devil, thing, being, ogre and was never given a name. Over time, the creature became known as Frankenstein and is one of the most well-known monsters today.
Call him what you will. We’re going with Frankenstein, and you can easily dress up as Victor Frankenstein’s creation with our quick and easy hair and makeup DIY tips.
Here is what you need to bring Frankenstein to life:
- All black sport coat
- Dark blue undershirt
- All black slacks
- Black shoes
- Neck bolts
- Makeup or face paint
Finding all the clothes you need for your Frankenstein costume should be fairly easy, and it’s really the makeup that will make your monster stand out.
And before you go out and frighten the villagers, be sure to snap a photo and enter our annual Goodwill Costume Contest!Add a Comment | Comments (0)
October 28, 2016
As far as making a fashion statement, it doesn’t get much better than David Bowie. Known for his music, style and constant reinvention, bringing Bowie to life is fun and simple.
The music legend died earlier this year, but left behind quite a list of accomplishments. He sold an estimated 140 million records worldwide, making him one of the world’s best-selling music artists. Bowie received five platinum records in the U.S. and nine platinum album certifications in the U.K. He also was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1996.
Pay your respects to the late music legend by using our quick and easy DIY hair and makeup tips to transform yourself into the icon this Halloween.
Here’s what you need for the costume:
- Flashy, loud button-up long-sleeved shirt
- Even louder spandex pants
- Red high heels
- Makeup or face paint
What really makes this costume come to life is the hair and makeup. The pompadour hairstyle combined with the iconic lightning bolt face paint from Bowie’s 1973 Aladdin Sane album will make this costume easily recognizable. Watch the video above for some makeup tips.
Be sure to enter your David Bowie costume in our annual Goodwill Costume Contest!Add a Comment | Comments (0)
October 27, 2016
Calling all Trekkies, or alien lifeforms beaming down to earn this Halloween, here is an easy DIY hair and makeup tutorial that will get you VIP access to both the Starship Enterprise and that Halloween party you’re attending.
Star Trek has never faded from popular culture since Gene Roddenberry created the science fiction television series in 1966. The intergalactic adventures of Captain Kirk and Spok always have drawn a cult-like following, but the new set of feature films—especially last summer’s blockbuster Star Trek Beyond—make Star Trek costumes a big hit this Halloween.
Spok is one of Star Trek’s most recognizable characters, and you can easily transform yourself into him with pieces from Goodwill. All you need are these items:
- Black undershirt
- Blue long-sleeved, V-neck shirt
- Black tight pants
- Black boots
- Gold bracelets
- Shiny pin
- Intergalactic-looking gun
- Pointy ears
- Makeup or face paint
Makeup is one of the simplest aspects of this costume so make sure to take time to get the hair right. Outside of his pointy ears, Spok is easy spot with that token semi-bowl cut hairdo. See video above for some tips.
Be sure to enter your costume in our annual Goodwill Costume Contest!Add a Comment | Comments (0)
October 26, 2016
Outside of the famed pumpkin, and perhaps candy corn, trick-or-treaters, witches and ghosts, there may not be anything more synonymous with Halloween than a black cat. A favorite for the young and old, it’s hard to go wrong with dressing up as a cat or kitten for Halloween.
The costume is perfect for children, makeup application is easy and straightforward and all you really need outside of the makeup is some black clothing, ears and a tail which you can find at your local Goodwill.
Here is what you’ll need for your Halloween kitten costume:
- Black and white makeup
- Black shirt
- Black shirt
- White leggings
- Sparkly shoes
- Kitten ears
The kitten costume is perfect for a mom or dad who need a costume for their child in a short amount of time. The ears with the makeup will complete the look and make for a cute and easy costume this Halloween, and your son or daughter will be meowing around town while scoring loads of candy, which is purrrfect.
Don't forget to enter your costume into our annual Goodwill Costume Contest!Add a Comment | Comments (0)
CONNECT WITH US
SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL
- Upcoming Events: Fall 2017
- Goodwill Faces: Mitzi, Sucelly, Bianca, Matthew
- Summer DIY with Gary: Barrel Table & File Cabinet Raised Plant Bed
- Summer DIY with Gary: Beachcomber & Adult Beverage Table
- Career Resources (11)
- Cleaning & Organizing (18)
- Community & Partners (112)
- DIY Tips & Tricks (66)
- Donate (60)
- Fashion (121)
- Get Involved (22)
- Glitter Gala (18)
- Glitter Sale (84)
- Goodwill Faces (43)
- Halloween (24)
- Holidays (76)
- Job Training & Education (62)
- Sales, Events, Contests & Giveaways (164)
- Shop (247)
- Sustainability (33)
- Thrifty Kitchen (13)
- Vintage (8)
- Youth Programs (12)
- September 2017 (1)
- August 2017 (4)
- July 2017 (1)
- June 2017 (5)
- May 2017 (2)
- April 2017 (6)
- March 2017 (3)
- An alternative to buying new or renting expensive winter sports gear
- Daddy Daughter Dance for Monroe inmates made possible with Seattle Goodwill’s help
- Ten Tips for Cosplay at ECCC + Giveaway
- Breaking Barriers: Our Annual Report is out!
- Collecting cars: How to spot collectible Hot Wheels and Matchbox
- Goodwill Faces: Alison, Joe and Sam, Sherion & Ta'Vion
- Get Free Tax Preparation Help at Goodwill
- How to spot vintage Barbies and G.I. Joes
- Find a gift in our Valentine’s Day Online Sale
- An easy solution for computer disposal
- Understanding art: A matter of perspective
- How 140 Characters Benefited Goodwill
- Top comic books through the ages
- 5 New Year Resolutions Goodwill can help you keep
- Video game consoles come full circle
- Ten Tips for End-of-Year Donations
- The guitar: Seattle music culture's iconic instrument
- DIY: Homemade Menorahs
- Goodwill Faces: New Beginnings
- Thrifty Kitchen: Homemade Holiday Hot Beverages
- DIY: Holiday Shadowbox Décor
- Designer bags: From practical use to fashion statement
- DIY: Gold Accent Mugs
- Uncoding the value of trading cards
- DIY: Glittered Mason Jar Candle Holders
- Vinyl records making a major resurgence
- Goodwill Faces: Shak, Anja, J.C., & Asia
- Goodwill’s Cyber Monday Sale
- Supporting Goodwill on Cyber Monday
- DIY: Festive Book Page Trees
- Baking with Goodwill: Bourbon Pumpkin Pie
- Sparkle Sale Preview
- 5 things to look for when shopping Goodwill's brooches
- Goodwill Faces: Donald, Brycen, Shawnteal & Farida
- Sports memorabilia evokes nostalgic moments for fans
- Glitter Sale 2016: The Best of the Rest!
- Glitter Sale 2016: Celebrate the craftsmanship of Coach!
- Glitter Sale 2016: Shopping Tips
- Glitter Sale 2016: Spotlight on Designers
- Halloween DIY: Frankenstein
- Halloween DIY: David Bowie
- Halloween DIY: Spock
- Halloween DIY: Kitten
- Halloween DIY: Prince
- Halloween DIY: Zombie
- 5 trendy Halloween costumes for 2016, plus tips
- Glitter Sale 2016: A shoe for every season!
- Halloween Makeup DIY: Deer
- Making a great Halloween costume with Goodwill is quick and easy
- Glitter Sale 2016: Celebrating Seahawks
- Halloween 2016 Contests & Giveaways
- Glitter Gala Fashion Interns
- Glitter Sale 2016: The First Look
- Glitter Gala Styling Intern Profile: Monstrociti Wuest
- Camera availability changing our social lives
- September 2016 (6)
- August 2016 (4)
- July 2016 (7)
- June 2016 (4)
- Planning your Memorial Day Sale thrift store tour
- Budget-Friendly Camping in the PNW
- Sustainable Office: For Startups & Small Business
- Sustainable Office: Renovate, Donate
- Goodwill + Luxe = Convenient Donations
- Coming to our Flagship Store: Sustainable Office Popup Shop
- Israel Juarez: Winner of the 2016 Edgar J. Helms Award for Graduate Staff
- April 2016 (4)
- March 2016 (5)
- February 2016 (6)
- January 2016 (4)
- 10 Items you should donate before 2016
- Good Holidays: DIY New Year’s Eve party table centerpiece
- Good Holidays: Cookie Gifts
- Good Holidays: Scrap Fabric Garland DIY
- Good Holidays: DIY String Light Ornaments
- Good Holidays: Decorating on a budget
- Setting the table for #GoodHolidays
- Ten holiday must-haves that you can thrift
- Good Holidays: How to White Elephant like a pro
- Good Holidays: DIY Ugly Christmas Sweater
- Cyber Monday shopping: AmazonSmile & Give Back Box
- 15 Holiday Events around the Puget Sound
- 6 ways you can make an impact while you holiday shop
- Glitter Sale 2015: The best of the rest
- Glitter Sale 2015: Evening and Cocktail Dresses
- Glitter Sale 2015: Tips for Shopping
- Glitter Sale 2015: Shoppers Talk Glitter
- Glitter Sale 2015: Designer Accessories
- Glitter Sale 2015: The brooch is back!
- Glitter Sale 2015: A Closer Look at Coach
- Glitter Gala Fashion Show & Super Heroes
- Glitter Sale 2015: Make a statement!
- Glitter Gala Stylist Intern: Hannah Larson
- It’s time for Glitter Sale 2015!
- Celebrating Halloween with local bloggers
- Where to Trick or Treat— All Over Puget Sound!
- Glitter Gala Stylist Intern: Trisha Jack
- Halloween Costume Contest & Giveaways Prize List
- Glitter Gala Stylist Intern: Heather Nyland
- Ellena's Story
- What’s on deck for Halloween 2015
- Vote Seattle Goodwill "Best Vintage and Resale"!
- Comcast Donates Backpacks to Seattle Goodwill
- Rainy Day Fun
- Customer Appreciation Days
- September is National Preparedness Month
- It's National Clean Out Your Garage Day!
- 5 simple tools that can help your family stay organized this school year
- Glitter Gala 2015: The Goodwill Design Challenge
- Make the most out of your commute: Seattle
- Upcoming Events: Fall 2015
- Make the most out of your commute: South
- Back-to-School Thrifting
- Make the most out of your commute: Kitsap Peninsula
- Tips from Declutterella: Help your kids declutter
- Make the most out of your commute: Up North
- Tips from Declutterella: How to ease into the back-to-school transition
- Bank of America Summer Intern Highlight: Kasia
- Design Your Dorm Room (on a college student’s budget)
- July 2015 (5)
- June 2015 (6)
- May 2015 (5)
- April 2015 (3)
- March 2015 (4)
- Designer Accessory Sale 2015 Preview: Casual Shoes
- Designer Accessory Sale 2015 Preview: Black Bags
- Oscar Glam, Goodwill Finds
- Festivities and Fun for Chinese New Year
- Expanded vintage selection at U-District!
- Thrifty Valentine’s Day Ideas: Treasure Hunt
- Thrifty Valentine's Day Ideas: Outdoor Adventures
- Thrifty Valentine’s Day Ideas: Throwback Fun
- Thrifty Valentine's Day Ideas: Coffee Cupping
- Thrifty Valentine's Day Ideas: Thrift Shop Gift Challenge
- Thrifty Valentine's Day Ideas: Variations on a Picnic
- Thrifty Valentine's Day Ideas: Private Movie Theater
- Thrifty Valentine's Day Ideas: Arts & Crafts
- Thrifty Valentine's Day Ideas: Ingredients-Only Potluck
- Thrifty Valentine's Day Ideas: Ferry Ride Picnic
- Thrifty Valentine's Day Ideas: Game Night
- January 2015 (6)
- December 2014 (2)
- Sparkle Sale: Cyber Monday Preview
- Seven ways to save money AND the environment during holiday party season
- Holiday DIY: Peacock Ornaments
- The Holidays Are Here!
- Glitter Sale 2014: The Best of the Rest
- Glitter Sale 2014: Make a Statement!
- Tips for Shopping the Glitter Sale
- Glitter Sale 2014: Holiday Brooches and Pins!
- Glitter Sale 2014: Get Ready to Party - Evening Gowns & Cocktail Dresses!
- Glitter Sale 2014: Brooch the Subject!
- Glitter Sale 2014: Celebrating Diane von Furstenberg!
- Glitter Sale 2014: Marc Jacobs
- Glitter Sale 2014: Dooney & Bourke
- Glitter Sale 2014: Little Black Dress
- Meet Erik Albidress: Makeup Artist
- Glitter Sale 2014: Discover Designer Jewelry at the Glitter Sale!
- Glitter Sale 2014: Creating style with Coach!
- Meet Ron Leamon: Professional Costume Designer
- Glitter Gala Interns: Jenn
- Glitter Sale 2014: Kate Spade
- Glitter Sale 2014: First Look
- Glitter Gala Interns: Sonya
- Halloween Trends 2014
- September 2014 (4)
- August 2014 (2)
- The Thrift Whisperer: Interview with Kim Holcomb
- Family Health & Safety Fair
- Thrifting is more fun than traffic
- Bringing instruments back to life: Mike & Mike’s Guitar Bar
- Eastside Treasures – Interview with Rebecca Klein
- Summer Online Music Festival & Giveaway
- Julie LaPuma: Manager of the largest Goodwill in the US
- All About Kate
- June 2014 (4)
- May 2014 (4)
- April 2014 (2)
- March 2014 (4)
- February 2014 (4)
- December 2013 (3)
- Glitter Sale 2013 Raises Record Amount
- Making Room for 2013 Glitter Sale Finds
- The Mission at Work – Innocent’s Story
- Glitter Sale Preview 2013: The Best of the Rest
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Vintage Finds
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Tips for Shopping the Glitter Sale
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: UW Pride
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: The Perfect Handbag
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Holiday Pins
- Glitter Sale Preview: Mad for Plaid
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Designer Shoes
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Crushing on Coach
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Animal Prints - Walk on the Wild Side
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: The Little Black Dress
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Winter Whites
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Burberry
- Halloween Costume Ideas and Contests
- Zipcar and Goodwill Partner for Donation Day Seattle on October 19
- Glitter Sale 2013: Eye Catching Emerald Green!
- Going for LEED Gold
- Goodwill is your Halloween Headquarters
- September 2013 (2)
- August 2013 (6)
- July 2013 (2)
- June 2013 (2)
- Come to the Goodwill Ribbon Cutting and Open House
- Goodwill Collecting Donations at Sasquatch Festival
- Give Goodwill!
- My New Book Club: Easy and Cheap
- Celebrating 90 Years | Learning at Seattle Goodwill
- Celebrating 90 Years | Live Hi Up - An Interview with Angela Moorer
- Donate Today and Help Build The Future
- Shopping Goodwill – My Favorite Finds
- Beyoncé is Lending Her Voice for GOOD
- Board Member and Volunteer James Thomas Helps Us Celebrate National Volunteer Week
- Put It Down For the Town - Celebrate Earth Day with Macklemore Monday!
- Donate to Goodwill in Honor of Earth Day
- Participate in our Earth Day Giveaway for a Chance to Win Macklemore Tickets!
- Celebrating 90 Years | Goodwill Style with Darcy Camden
- Spring Cleaning Helps Others Find Jobs
- Rat City Rollergirls Talk Thrift!
- Celebrating 90 Years | Store Manager Israel Juarez Knows the Power of Education
- Celebrating 90 Years | Volunteering at Goodwill
- Salvaging 35 Million Pounds
- Shop in Style at the Urban Girls’ Garage Sale
- Celebrating 90 Years | Shopping for Goodwill Fashions with Blogger Jess Estrada
- Celebrating 90 Years | The Early History of Seattle Goodwill
- Shop Our Designer Accessory Sale Starting Tomorrow!
- Water Cooler Conversations – What Not to Say
- Celebrating 90 Years - The Gift of Education
- Our Designer Accessory Sale is next Friday and Saturday!
- Celebrating 90 Years - Tina Witherspoon is Hooked on Thrift
- Get Organized – Tips to De-Clutter Your Life
- Celebrating 90 Years - Stories from the Community
- Celebrating 90 Years - Job Training at Goodwill
- Dress For the Job You Want
- Celebrating 90 Years – Charles Cross Talks Music, Mugs and Cheap Furniture
- Celebrating 90 Years - Thrifting Tips from Kim Holcomb
- Attend the Finale of Seattle’s Fashion Reality Show, The Look!
- Help Goodwill Celebrate 90 Years!
- January 2013 (4)
- December 2012 (4)
- Our Mission at Work: Meet Mary Jane
- Are You Ready for Winter Weather?
- Winter Wardrobe Wonderland
- Thank You for Making the 2012 Glitter Sale a Success!
- Glitter Sale 2012 is Finally Here - Time to Grab Some Designer Flats!
- Glitter Sale 2012: Get That Great Gatsby Look
- Glitter Sale 2012: Fresh Fall Trend: Hunter Green
- Glitter Sale 2012: Why You Should Get Up Early and Get in Line
- Glitter Sale 2012: Tips for Shopping the Glitter Sale
- Glitter Sale 2012: Make a Statement with an Eye-Catching Necklace
- Glitter Sale 2012 Favorites: Designer Shoes
- Glitter Sale 2012: The Little Black Dress
- Glitter Sale 2012: Tina’s Picks: If I Were Shopping Today, This is What I Would Buy
- Glitter Sale 2012: In Praise of Burgundy
- Glitter Sale 2012: Designer Bags Galore!
- Glitter Sale 2012: How to Create Personal Style: Include Vintage Pieces in the Mix
- Glitter Sale 2012: Husky Pride
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Holiday Pins
- Glitter Sale 2012: Find The Perfect Dress for Any Occasion
- Glitter Sale 2012: Winter Whites Done Right
- Glitter Sale 2012: The Sheath Dress: A Short History
- Glitter Sale 2012: All That Glitters – Add Some Sparkle With Brooches
- Glitter Sale 2012: Shop Marc Jacobs
- Glitter Sale 2012: Update Your Wardrobe with Gold and Silver Metallics
- Build your Halloween Costume at Goodwill and Save Money!
- Glitter Sale 2012: Gucci, Coach and Jimmy Choo: Designer Clothing and Accessories
- Glitter Sale 2012: Fall Fashion: Black and Blue and Seen All Over
- Glitter Sale 2012: The Ever-Fashionable Animal Print
- Five Tips for New Job Seekers
- Glitter Sale 2012: From Burberry to North Face, cover up in these jackets and stay dry in the Seattle rain
- Glitter Sale 2012: Walk out with some amazing designer shoes!
- Glitter Sale 2012: Fresh Trends for Fall
- Glitter Sale 2012: Coming Soon!
- Finding a Good Job Fit When You Identify as LGBT
- Our Mission at Work: Meet Dolores
- Glitter 2012: The Animal Trend Gets Glittery
- Glitter Sale 2012: All About Leather
- Glitter Sale 2012: Designer Clothes for Men
- Our Mission at Work: Meet Nutjaree
- Glitter Sale 2012: Shop Diane von Furstenberg
- Glitter Sale 2012: Pin Me! Be Bold with Brooches
- September 2012 (5)
- Our Mission at Work: Meet Danilo
- Goodwill Craft Corner: T-shirt Scarves
- Let’s Get to Work: When Potential Employers Ask Illegal Questions
- We're beating the heat in vintage swimsuits
- Our Mission at Work: Meet Oscar
- Stay summery with bold patterns and bright colors
- Donate now at even more locations!
- The grand opening of our South Lake Union store!
- July 2012 (4)