Cover Letters: Make a Great First Impression
Cover letters are vital to a successful job search. The overall design, content, and structure all play an important role in positioning yourself positively with a potential employer. If written well, it can create increased interest and excitement about your application.
While not required by all applications, cover letters make a great first impression; it’s akin to a post-interview thank you note. Send a thank you note and you’ll be remembered, forgot one, and run the risk of being forgotten.
Here are a few general items to keep in mind while writing:
- State why you are writing
- Be concise and accurate
- Grab the attention of the reader
- Be mistake-free, clean, and typed neatly
- Make the reader want to know more about you
- Make it easy for the reader to take some action
- Show your knowledge of the company and position